We are all familiar with the practice of professional coaching, yet do we fully understand what it is that a coach does? I thought it might be valuable to list 9 fun facts about coaching and highlight some of the things I do as a certified coach.
In short, coaches help people to realize their inner potential and reach your biggest goals in the most productive and fulfilling ways. We guide and support people through their journeys, helping them to determine the best courses of action to get from Point A to Point B. Listed below are 9 fun facts that coaches also do:
1. We help you brainstorm.One gift that coaches possess is the ability to take our aspirations and help us produce new ideas for executing plans and reaching goals. Coaches are not there to tell us what to do nor are we problem solvers. We are thinking partners and encourage people to generate new ideas for businesses, health, professional growth and personal relationships.
2. We challenge you.Just like a basketball coach or a personal trainer, a life or career coach will push you (gently) from time to time to assist us in breaking through tough platforms and help your inner strength. One of our jobs is to challenge us to perform our best at what we do so that we can have the courage to believe in ourselves and succeed.
3. We remove your obstacles.Coaches have the advantage of seeing our situations from an independent perspective. Much of the time we are held back by limiting beliefs, unhelpful behaviours or perceived blockages. People often invest their time and energy in fruitless actions that restricts us to advance. Coaches are there to point out the things that we need to eliminate to move forward.
4. We boost your self-confidence
A study by the International Coaching Federation (IFC) discovered that 80% of people who hired a life coach reported an improvement in self-confidence.
5. We provide a different perspectiveWe are often consumed by our own opinions, life experiences, and way of thinking. A coach can provide a new and often helpful perspective on things.
6. It improves your self-awarenessBeing fully aware of your impact on others and recognizing your flaws, strengths, and unique personality attributes is an extremely challenging adventure. This is the art of self-awareness, and it requires a strong capacity for reflection, something which a coach can help you work towards.
7. Discover your clarity of purposeAre you clear on what your purpose in life is? It is your passion, dreams, skills, and weaknesses all bundled into one. It’s your direction in life. Clarity of purpose is vital if you want to pursue your dreams, and guess what, coaches can assist you in creating this focus.
8. Become aware of your valuesOur values are those deeply held principles that influence our behaviour and motivate us to do things. Given the sheer influence of life values on every action, being aware of what they are can revolutionize the way we live and perform.
9. You stay motivated: One of the most sought after benefits of life coachingSetbacks and roadblocks can derail the best of us. One of the most sought after benefits of life coaching is to sustain the discipline and maximum effort during challenging times. You will likely discover pockets of inspiration that you never knew existed.
Above all, having a life or career coach is a valuable tool to have in your pocket. And it is one of the best resources anyone can have on their path to career success. We help people to see through the fog of doubt, fear or anger and once there you meet your real self. We show you your life from a new perspective so that you can identify your own talents and potential and get clear on what it is you really want to do. Coaching is an investment in your life!