It’s fast approaching the festive season, and now is a perfect opportunity to refocus, relax and recharge. I do a lot of inner reflection – it’s an introvert thing! I find that if I reflect too long, I start to over-think and catastrophize about what could go wrong. So then I write. Getting things out of my head and onto paper is the best strategy. This action alone, gets “stuff” out and I can begin to make sense of my thoughts and feelings. I sometimes even arrive at a brilliant outcome and that sets me onto a new trajectory of goal setting. Invest in yourself and your performance and learn to reflect peacefully and truthfully. Indeed, the art of self-reflecting takes time to master. So maybe in the next few weeks, you can take a few quiet moments grab a pen and write down the answers to the following questions:
- What was your top career highlight for 2016?
- What new skill have you gained?
- Who made you laugh out loud?
- Who are you missing the most?
- Whom do you need to forgive?
- What are you thankful for?
- What do you want to achieve next year?
- How are you practicing self-care?
- What habit could you change or remove permanently?
- Do you know and understand your life’s purpose?
Share these with your family, smile as you remember the good times and let go of any negative emotions. Approach 2016 with enthusiasm, spirit and commitment to one new goal. If you need assistance reaching your goals, then be courageous and ask for help – it’s not far away!